Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Running for the Rich


I went to an interest meeting tonight for a mom’s running group and I was severely disappointed. It seemed great in theory: moms getting together to run and train together for a common race goal. I was a runner all through high school and college and even finished three marathons; but have found it hard to lace up my shoes after Emmeline was born 6 months ago. I thought this group would be a great way to meet people with similar time constraints/commitments/interests as myself and it would keep me motivated and consistent with my running. But I found out at the meeting that there was a major downside: the cost. I naively thought that it was just a group of moms getting together to run. In fact it is an international organization that requires a yearly membership fee ($65). You then have to pay the money to be on a “race team” for only twelve training runs ($100). This money goes directly to the “Team Leader.” You also have to pay a separate registration fee, transportation and lodging for each race. So all-told you are paying well over $250 (more if you travel) for each race that you want to do with this running group. I was floored. I think that one of the greatest things about running is that it does not cost much; just buy a good pair of shoes now and then and you are set. Race fees can get expensive, but you don’t have to race to run. You shouldn’t have to pay a bunch of money in order to have running buddies. It is great to run for a cause and support charities, but why should anybody have to throw money at a “Team Leader” just to organize runs? I can organize my own schedule, thank you very much!
Another kicker about this group: baby joggers were not welcome on training runs. What?! Something is rotten in the state of Delaware

1 comment:

Sara said...

You should check out meetup.com and see if they have a group you might be interested in. That is where I found my scrapbook club...even though I do not go anymore.