Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, June 15, 2009

Boot Camp and Birthday, Part I

We have had a fun and interesting couple of weeks here.  My mom arrived on June 3 and stayed until June 13.  The purpose of her trip, besides getting Emmeline all to herself, was to babysit while Paul finished his last week of school and I was off at dissertation boot camp. Yes, everyone...I am in dissertation therapy.  For two solid weeks, I haul my laptop and a selection of books off to campus where I am chained to my computer and am expected to write, write, write! Actually, I am in boot camp now, but I needed a mental break. And I miss my baby. What I want to get out of this boot camp is lots of words on the page and a momentum that will carry me through the rest of the summer.  I need to get this done and off my plate.  My goal is to finish by the end of next summer.  I want to beat Jacy to her high school graduation!

Mom and Emmeline had a great time together last week.  Emmeline was still a bit clingy when I was around but when I was gone, she and gramma were best friends!  They went on walks, took frequent trips to the cafe around the corner from our house, read ALOT of books, and got to know each other through some serious one-on-one time.  Sadly, I have dropped the ball on my photographing.  I can't believe I have been so neglectful.  I didn't get many picture of my mom's trip here but one of my photographer friends took pictures for me at Emmeline's birthday party last Friday.  I will post them as soon as she sends them.  For now, here is a super cute picture of Emmeline contemplating her Serpe's cake (photo compliments of Kate...thanks Kate!):

Emmeline's actual birthday is not until June 22, but we wanted to have a party for her while my mom was here.  We hosted the party at Bellevue State Park and thankfully the weather was agreeable.  Our house is just too little for all of those toddlers!  All of Emmeline's little friends were able to attend and our final count was twelve toddlers and one baby. What fun they had! It was so nice, also, for my mom to be able to spend time with all of our friends and be a part of Emmeline's Delaware birthday party.  Last year we didn't make it to North Dakota until after Emmeline's birthday and it was torture for my parents.  My poor dad was left out this time, but we will be seeing my family in August.  We are going on a road trip this August to meet them half way and camp for a few weeks.  We have not taken Emmeline camping yet so we just made reservations to take her for a few days at Killens Pond State Park over July 4th weekend. Hopefully she likes it otherwise we will have a rough go of it in August!

Pictures and narrative of the party soon to come...

No comments: