Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Cheerio and Cheerios

I recently received an email from a women in England thanking me for posting the A. A. Milne poem on my blog. She said that she had been searching for it and that she, too, has a daughter named Emmeline. Her Emmeline is 14 years old and her name is pronounced Emma-lean. It was very exciting to receive an email from her; it is fun to think of someone in England reading about our little life here in Delaware. I wonder who else reads this blog?
I am very pleased to report that we have been having great success with the Ferber method. Paul convinced me to stay strong and keep with it. We went back to Richard Ferber's book and looked for support and encouragement. I have let Paul handle the difficult nights and that seems to help. It also helps to occupy myself with something else (always within close range of the monitor, of course). For the past two nights, she has gone down to sleep on her own with almost no fussing. Naps seems to be a little bit more tricky. Our routine for naps and bedtime always include nursing; I am already nervous about weaning her but that is several months away.
Emmeline has been happily cruising along on her hands and knees and is pulling herself up on pretty much everything. She is also learning how to get down from standing but is still getting the hang of it. If you let her, she will also crawl an entire flight of stairs.
We have been introducing her to a couple new foods lately. She has been enjoying pineapple, pears and carrots (carrots are usually a first food but I just never got around to cooking and pureeing them). At the suggestion of a friend, I also have introduced her to little Gerber sweet potato puffs. They are supposed to dissolve quickly in the baby's mouth and teach them how to feed themselves. I bought a little device called a "snack trap" to reduce spillage. Emmeline can put her little hand into the slots on the lid but still bang the cup around and not spill. It is so ingenious. Why didn't I think of that?!

The "Snack Trap"

3 comments:

Patty said...

Congrats on the Ferber success. We actually had 11 hours on Fri and Sat. Last night Abby woke at 3, but that was the only time. It was soooo hard for me, but it is getting easier and the crying is lessening. She knows that she is not going to get picked up and that she might as well just go to sleep. I also distract myself with tasks such as scrubbing the bathtub or brushing the dog, and let my husband deal with the screaming. He's much stronger about it than I. I feel so guilty and it bothers me to knowingly go against everything that I did this far. Stick with it, I think it will be worth it in the end. We should start a support hotline!!!! (then I wouldn't have to clean my bathroom at 10 or 11pm!!!!)

SarahKim and Jimmy said...

I totally know what you mean about reading comments... I check for them like I check my email (compulsively). I will continue to comment if you'll do the same!

I think that Sampson starting to eat foods is the scariest part of parenting thus far. I wouldn't mind if he ate purees and smoothies the rest of his life. In France they eat pureed foods well into toddler-hood, though their selection is much more varied than ours. Maybe we should move...

SarahKim and Jimmy said...

Thanks for sharing your snacks today Emmy Lou!

I meant to tell you that diapers.com is selling gdiapers now and orders over $50 have free shipping.