Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, April 4, 2008

Pregnant Pause

Did you hear about this man who is pregnant? Oprah had pregnant Thomas and his wife, Nancy, on her show yesterday afternoon. They also appeared with Nancy's two grown daughters from a previous marriage. Well, the story is that Thomas was born Tracy and decided that she would wear man's clothes, get her breasts removed, and take testosterone hormones. Soon Tracy became legally a man. I wonder how one becomes "legally" a person of a different gender? Do you have to get your birth certificate changed? I wonder what it is like contacting your bank. "Hello. My name used to be Tracy Smith. I now am Thomas Smith. Can you change this on my bank account and checks, please?" Yikes.
So, Thomas met his current wife Nancy when he was just starting to take hormones and really began to live publicly with his new male identity. OK. Nothing too unusual there. In our society we often hear of people deciding to change genders, to be both genders or switch back and forth. What is unusual about this story is that Thomas and Nancy decided to have children, but Nancy could not bear anymore children. Thomas still had his female reproductive organs so they decided to get him inseminated (the pronouns are a bit tricky here...). And with the help of a sperm donor, two rounds of insemination and some luck, Thomas became pregnant. His OB/GYN (the tenth doctor they sought out for care) was interviewed on Oprah and testified that his pregnancy was completely normal and that because he had stopped taking testosterone two years ago, his hormone levels were normal. The baby appears to be healthy. They are having a girl!
This is a very strange story. When I first saw the photos of the pregnant Thomas, I thought it was a hoax...one of those Ripley Believe it or Not fact or fiction things. His story did come out on April Fool's Day, too. So now that I have watched an hour of television about a man having a baby, I wonder what does this mean for our society? What does this mean for humans? I understand that this couple had an intense desire to have their own baby and this was the only way that they could see how, but isn't this one of those things that should make science and technology take pause? Or am I being too conservative?
I think about raising my daughter in this society. How could I possibly begin to explain something like this? But then I also think about the many children who are born into the most devastating circumstances: parents who hate each other, poverty, violence, abuse, alcoholism, drug addiction, war, a devastatingly polluted planet. If a devoted, middle class couple who have the means and love in order to raise a baby decide to have a baby together, gender/reproductive confusion aside...great. I hope they are happy and have a beautiful family. I think that there are much bigger problems out there.

2 comments:

SarahKim and Jimmy said...

Yes, it's difficult enough explain where babies come from... this would be twice as complicated to explain. I'm glad we've exchanged blogs! It's nice to be able to look into others' lives since we are watching our little ones grow together. Thanks for putting up a link to our Wild Vees site!

Patty said...

I agree with you Allison, there are much bigger problems out there and also bigger issues which our children will want answers for. I think you would explain this just as you would with her other questions....with honesty appropriate to her age and understanding. We are lucky enough to live in a place where a man can (with plenty of criticism) have a baby if he wants or where same sex marriage is becoming more main stream etc... Our children are being raised in a time that this is becoming more and more OK with society, so I think they will just "get it" if we raise them to be OK with it.

By the way, I love your blog and agree with Sarah Kim, that it's nice to be able to see more our each other's lives than just the once a week at TBC.