Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, June 13, 2008

The Screaming Banshee

We have had an interesting week here.  I use the word "interesting" for lack of a better word. Emmeline had a mildly high fever all weekend.  This resulted in very little sleep for all of us and a very fussy baby.  We took her to the doctor on Monday as the nurse practitioner we talked to on the phone suspected an ear infection.  Thankfully Emmeline got a clean bill of health but her fever remains a mystery.  Our doctor thought that her fever had been too high for just teething but wasn't able to pin her symptoms on anything concrete.  I came down with some sort of 24-hour bug Wednesday afternoon so Paul had to take a half day off on Thursday to help with the baby.  I am feeling better now but still a bit off.  Hopefully I haven't given whatever this is to Paul or Emmeline.
Lately Emmeline has started screaming at the top of her lungs when she does not get what she wants or is bothered by something.  It seems that she is very irritable as of late.  I am looking forward to the time when she can verbalize her feelings or tell me what she wants.  I am also looking forward to the time when she will be able to understand what I am saying.  It is so very hard to reason with her when you know that she does not understand.  I want her to know why I take things away from her or why I need to change her clothes.  (Then again, maybe she will never understand these things...)  I know that this is just a phase and it will pass but my goodness!!  There is only so much screaming I can stand in one day.  She has such a strong will for one so young.
Despite our rough and tumble week, we have had lots of fun.  We have managed to snap a few good pics for you all to enjoy:

I blow out candles on a belated birthday cake as Emmeline takes notes for her upcoming big day.  My friend Kate made me this oh-so-yummy cheese cake for a belated birthday celebration.  Kate and I went to Sex and the City (my second time!) on Saturday and then we went back to her house for a fun little BBQ with Emmeline, Paul and her husband, Mike.


Emmeline's first balloon


Let go of the string! I got it!


Emmeline plays in her wading pool yesterday 
on our back deck.  She only played for a little 
while and was more interested in climbing out 
to see the rest of the deck.



In addition to the rest of our harrowing week, Emmeline got her first fat, bloody lip yesterday.  She fell when she happened to have a toy in her mouth.  It was pretty scary to see her bleeding but after I could see that her teeth were intact, I felt better.  I was worried that her lip might get puffy so I got an ice cube and covered it in a washcloth.  She had fun sucking on that which helped her to calm down.  I took these two pictures as Emmeline was swinging in Bellevue park today.  Poor baby!


No comments: